My favorite question to ask people at this time of year is “what is your Christmas?” The incredible part is that you will never hear the exact same answer twice. Every family does Christmas in their own way. Obviously it changes over time, but personally, I’ll always love Christmas the way it was 18 years ago.
- Christmas Eve: BIG dinner of crab legs, shrimp, salad, baked potato
- Christmas morning:
- Scott and I wake up about 3am
- Trample downstairs to check out the goods Santa left on the sofa (not wrapped); look but don’t touch yet
- We make Mom, Dad, and Grandmama get up and let them get coffee and the video camera
- Stockings first, one at a time
- Santa gifts next, hold up each gift one at a time
- Pass out wrapped gifts and open one a time
- Breakfast: breakfast casserole, grits, muffins
- spend the rest of the day playing with our new gifts
Obviously there is nothing even close to 3 am anymore, some gifts are done Christmas Eve with Scott’s girlfriend, Amanda, there are no Santa gifts, and I still miss Grandmama being around. Despite the changes, though, I still love Christmas and our only-slightly-tweaked traditions. I miss the excitement of being a kid and anxiously awaiting Christmas morning, but have a relaxed family day is also great.
I kind of love this Target commercial and like to think that this is what Christmas morning is.
What is your Christmas?!