My first week on the Whole30 has been pretty good! I’ll give a full update but I wanted to share this AMAZING recipe asap. Everyone should make this, whether you’re doing Whole30 or not. Seriously.
Beef & Sweet Potato Chili
- 1lb grass fed ground beef (or ground chicken or turkey)
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and diced into large chunks*
- 1 white onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp butter or olive oil
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tsps paprika
- 1 jalapeno, finely chopped
- 1 poblano pepper, finely chopped
- 2 roma tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 2 small cans rotel
- 8 oz tomato paste
- 1 cup chicken broth
- optional: a few tablespoons of hot sauce + extra seasoning to your taste
- Cilantro for topping**
*my interpretation of large chunks then took an extra hour to cook in the chili. unless you like crunchy potatoes, I recommend small chunks so they will cook quicker. You still may need to cook a little longer than the recommended time.
**I did not use cilantro. Confession: I hate buying fresh herbs because most recipes use just a tiny bit and the rest goes bad. But it can only be even better with the cilantro!
- Heat butter or oil in a large saucepan. Add the onion, garlic and peppers. Saute over a medium heat for five minutes.
- Add the meat, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, and sprinkle in the cumin and paprika. Let the meat cook until browned, and then stir in the tomato paste.
- Add the rotel, tomatoes, and potato into the pan. Stir well, then slowly add broth. Bring to a boil then reduce the heat. Let it simmer for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add 3/4 of the cilantro and simmer for a further five minutes. Sprinkle in the rest of the cilantro immediately before serving.