I eat a lot of soup in the winter, so I was glad to find some recipes that were Whole30 approved. I found this one on Stupid Easy Paleo (I love the name)! Now, I love cooking, but I kind of dislike a ton of prep for said cooking. Therefore, I do not use butternut squash much. It’s a huge pain to cut and peel. There’s probably a better way to do it than I have done, but I highly recommend buying it pre-peeled and cubed if possible (sometimes Trader Joes has it).
Other than that, this is a really easy recipe!
Roast the butternut squash and carrots.
Combine it with everything else in a large pot and puree it. I used my new immersion blender which is the best appliance ever!
Serve hot whatever side you want! One night I did a baked sweet potato. One night a small baked chicken breast for some more protein! You can also add some cooked protein into the soup. Enjoy!
Spiced Butternut Squash Soup
- 1 medium/large butternut squash
- 3 carrots
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Melted coconut oil or olive oil
- optional: any cooked protein
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Peel and cube the squash, removing the seeds. Do the same with the carrots. Place on baking sheet, drizzle with oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake for at least 20 minutes or until the veggies are soft and lightly brown around the edges. Remove from oven and put in a large pot.
- Add the rest of the ingredients: chicken stock, coconut milk, cumin, cinnamon.
- Puree the soup until smooth. If using a blender, you’ll probably have to do at least two batches. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Serve hot!