I absolutely love the crock pot. And I can’t believe I’ve never posted this recipe since it is one of my go-tos. And it’s Whole30 appropriate (with one small variation). I’ve posted a reuse of this recipe since it’s good as is or to make a lot of other things – tacos, burritos, enchiladas, salad, soup – you can get creative! And since it’s a crock pot recipe it’s SO easy!
This week I’m using it for lunch – chicken “tacos” (with romaine lettuce as the shell) and taco salads. Top with whatever you want!
Crock Pot Taco Chicken
- ~6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (can modify depending on the size)
- 1 green pepper
- 1 onion
- 1 jar salsa (16 oz)
- 1/4 C or 1 packet taco seasoning*
- Place chicken breasts in bottom of the crock pot.
- Chop the green pepper and onion and put on top of the chicken.
- Mix the salsa and taco seasoning together and pour on top of the chicken and veggies.
- Cook on high 4-6 hours or low 6-8 hours.
- Shred chicken with a fork.
*I normally use Penzey’s original taco seasoning, but it is not Whole30 compliant, so I found a recipe for a homemade taco seasoning while doing Whole30. I went ahead and doubled the recipe and stored the leftover.
Homemade taco seasoning (from Whole New Mom)
- 2 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 Tbsp. cumin
- 2 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. black pepper