This may be my favorite Whole30 meal and it was one of the last of my official Whole30 meals. It was the easiest and the most filling! It was easy for me because I bought pre-cubed butternut squash….if you have to cut your own add some time. There isn’t much to it but the flavor was great. I also made some sweet potato “noodles”, but you can serve with any side you want!
The meal doesn’t make for pretty pictures, but don’t let it fool you. The crock pot bags also don’t help with pics, but man, do they help with clean up.
Crock Pot Chicken & Butternut Squash
- 2 chicken breasts (or 3-4 if they are small)
- 2 tsp. red wine vinegar
- salt & pepper
- 1 lb. bag baby carrots
- 1 butternut squash peeled, seeded, and diced (I used 2 bags of pre-diced)
- 2 tsp. Italian seasoning
- Side: sweet potato (1 large per serving); or whatever side you want
Place chicken breasts in the crock pot and splash the vinegar on top. Season with salt and pepper.
Add the carrots and butternut squash around and on top of the chicken. Season with Italian seasoning and more salt and pepper.
Cook on low for 8 hours.
When chicken is done or close to done, make your sweet potato(es)
- Option 1: peel the potato then use the straight blade on your spiralizer for a wider, flatter spirals
- Option 2: peel the potato, then continue using the peeler on the whole potato. you end up with flat, kind of thin ribbons.
To cook, heat ~1 Tbsp. oil (I use coconut or olive) in a large frying pan. Toss in sweet potatoes, seasoning with some Italian seasoning, and sauté for about 5 minutes (or until potatoes are softened).
I served my chicken over my sweet potatoes or serve on the side!
*I obviously had leftovers, but the chicken was a little dry when reheated. I’d suggest saving some of the liquid from the crock pot when you store it (I think that’s ok, right??).