I have a wonderful cookbook called Entertaining with Friends and it was made by the Monroe Carell, Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt, where I was a patient through college. It was a wonderful place that does great things for kids and families. I think a friend gave me the cookbook but honestly I can’t remember.
I don’t know about anyone else, but I don’t do a great job of using my cookbooks. I usually have a couple of recipes from it that I make and then it gets put to the side and forgotten about. This is one my go-to recipes from this cookbook that I wanted to share.
It’s a pretty easy recipe and we actually had everything we needed when I thought to make it recently. I remembered to take pictures a little late so they’re not quite as detailed as I usually like for recipe posts but you’ll get the idea!
Start with your ingredients and some prep. Pound and season the chicken. I also cut the breasts in half. Chop the onion and quarter the mushrooms. We accidentally chopped the mushrooms because the recipe right next to this one requires chopped mushrooms. But it’s still mushrooms all the same!
Briefly sauté the chicken then place in a baking dish. Sprinkle the cheese on top of the chicken. Then make the sauce in the same pan, adding each ingredient and letting it cook. First the onion, then mushrooms, then the wine and simmer.
Pour the onion mixture over the chicken and bake!
We also baked some delicious brussel sprouts with our go to recipe – salt, pepper, olive oil, and balsamic vinegar. Add a salad, bread, rice, whatever other sides you want!
French Boneless Chicken
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken pieces
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Garlic powder to taste
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 8 ounces mushrooms, cut into quarters
- ⅓ to ½ C white wine
- 1 C (4 oz.) shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350⁰
- Pound the chicken to a uniform thickness. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- Heat 1 ½ Tbsp. olive oil and 1 Tbsp. butter in a skillet. Add the chicken and sauté briefly. Remove to a baking dish.
- Melt the remaining 1 ½ Tbsp. olive oil and 1 Tbsp. butter in the same skillet. Add the onion and sauté until tender. Add the mushrooms and sauté until tender. Stir in the wine. Simmer for a few minutes.
- Sprinkle cheese on top of the chicken. Top with mushroom mixture.
- Bake for 30-45 minutes or until bubbly and the chicken is cooked through.
Yields 4-6 servings
Happy cooking! Print the recipe here: French Boneless Chicken